Thank you for your interest in working with us!
We are currently looking for an Accountant to join our team!
The Accountant position is a full-time, salaried position supervised by the CFO. The Accountant is responsible for the corporate accounting of Downstreet Housing & Community Development. Downstreet is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to strengthen the communities of Central Vermont by engaging with people, providing affordable homes, and connecting people to the resources and services they need to thrive.
- Process tenant receivables in accounting system (Boston Post); scan all checks, prepare deposit tickets and make bank deposits.
- Initiate and process authorized agreements for pre-arranged payments and ACH payments.
- Process tenant security deposits, refunds or transfers.
- Perform accounts receivable reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Maintain current accounts receivable files.
- Receive and verify all invoices and requisitions for goods and services for Downstreet administration, Downstreet owned properties, limited partnership properties, and managed properties.
- Verify that all A/P transactions comply with financial policies and procedures.
- Prepare batches of invoices for data entry, including verifying coding of each invoice by property, grant, fund, project, etc.
- Obtain department approval on all invoices to be paid.
- Manage and monitor all questionable invoices, investigate any that seem out of the norm. Discuss with appropriate department head.
- Data entry for all invoices and maintenance of current vendor information.
- Manage check runs for all AP batches. This also includes the maintenance of all bank account check stock and deposit tickets, and reordering as needed.
- Obtain signatures on checks and prepare for mailing.
- Maintain current accounts payable files.
- Perform accounts payable reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Complete monthly bank reconciliations on accounts as assigned by the CFO.
- Generate monthly financial statements for properties as assigned by the CFO.
- Complete monthly trial balance reconciliations on properties as assigned by the CFO.
- Prepare quarterly reports as assigned by CFO.
- Preparation of VT Landlord’s Certificates, Nonprofit Mobile Home Parks and lease land property tax allocable letter in accordance with directives from the Vermont Department of taxes.
- Calculate and prepare all vendors 1099’s at year end.
- Compute estimated taxes and prepare tax deposits for 990T, ensuring compliance with payment, reporting or other tax requirement.
- Provide assistance in yearly audit preparations, including researching, compiling and verifying all needed documents per auditor’s request.
- Create and post journal entries as needed, with the approval of the CFO.
- Process replacement reserve transfers as needed.
- Provide CFO with support related to processing payroll, human resources duties and the management of administrative and property insurance as needed.
- Complete special projects as assigned.
- Providing support to CFO and other members of the accounting department as needed.
Downstreet's mission and operations may require that an employee is prepared to perform duties as assigned that may be outside his/her principal responsibilities.
- A bachelor’s degree with emphasis in public or business administration, accounting or similar course work and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience with non-profit accounting.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and initiative in solving problems.
- Must possess working knowledge of Word and Excel spreadsheets.
- Commitment to social and economic justice.
- Excellent ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with residents and fellow employees.
Physical & Mental Abilities:
The Accountant must have the physical and mental abilities to perform the essential job duties listed above. However, reasonable accommodation may be extended to help perform those duties. There will be prolonged periods of computer work. While performing the essential duties of this job the Accountant may have to use hands and fingers, walk, stand, reach, or lift up to 25 pounds. Must be able to lift 25 pounds at a time.
Downstreet Standards of Conduct
Demonstrates a commitment to the mission and values of Downstreet.
Demonstrates respectful and effective communication with others.
Protects the privacy and confidentiality of all private information related to participants, families, staff and general housing operations following privacy practices and HIPAA requirements.
Has excellent interpersonal skills and be able to relate to internal and external parties professionally, representing Downstreet in a positive manner.
Must be able to handle and protect the privacy of highly sensitive, confidential information.
Possess the ability to self-direct, strong attention to detail, and commitment to excellence in work product while handling multiple projects at one time.
Adheres to all safety practices, rules and standards throughout the workday.
Demonstrates a commitment to high quality customer service, quality and proactively seeks to make improvements in systems and processes.
Proactively anticipates, manages and constructively resolves conflicts and disagreements; identifies ways conflict can lead to positive change.
Demonstrates a high level of emotional intelligence, treats others ethically and fairly, and displays integrity and honesty.
Adapts and is flexible in response to constraints, failures and adversity.
Builds and maintains effective relationships.
Employer Rights and Disclaimers
This job description is not a contract for employment. It is a list of activities, duties, responsibilities and expectations. However, it should not be considered a complete list of expected activities, duties, responsibilities or expectations. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
This document does not extend an offer for permanent or continuous employment. Downstreet is an at-will employer.
Downstreet is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply online, please complete the form below. Please include a resume and a cover letter explaining why you would like to be a part of the Downstreet team. Applications submitted without a cover letter will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Downstreet is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.