Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
We are currently looking for a Housing Advisor to join our team!
The Housing Advisor is a temporary, grant-funded, salaried position (with anticipated funding for 12-18 months) supervised by the Director of HomeOwnership Services. This team member delivers a wide range of homeownership services to new and existing homeowners within our service counties. Downstreet is a non-profit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization whose mission is to strengthen the communities of Central Vermont by engaging with people, providing affordable homes, and connecting people to the resources and services they need to thrive.
- Perform client intake with customers for homeownership services.
- Provide one-on-one housing counseling services for the purpose of credit building/repair, debt load reduction, and preparation for successful home purchase/homeownership.
- Track intake and client progress using Salesforce client information system and other tools.
- Build ongoing relationships with local service providers who support Downstreet programs.
HomeOwnership Services & Operations Support
- Assist with program outreach activities and organizational marketing efforts.
- Build and maintain accurate and complete client files.
- Qualify applicants for programs through Downstreet’s Homeownership Center (HOC).
- Conduct informational meetings with new applicants to the Shared Equity Program (SEP).
- Counsel customers to resolve delinquent accounts with HOC loan customers.
- Develop and implement educational workshops for homeownership clients.
- Participate in staff, team, and partner meetings as needed.
- Collaborate with team members and other departments on special projects as assigned.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must obtain the Housing Counselor certification from NeighborWorks within one year of employment.
- Must pass HUD Counselor Test before August 2021.
- Detail orientated, and have the ability to multi-task
- Ability to travel for training, etc.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent experience in related field preferred.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, internet-based applications, and tools.
- Experience in real estate, mortgage lending, community services, or affordable housing strongly preferred.
- Experience in community services and affordable housing preferred.
Standards of Conduct
Demonstrates a commitment to the mission and values of Downstreet.
Demonstrates respectful, appropriate, and effective communication with co-workers, customers, vendors, and others.
Provides exemplary customer service.
Protects the privacy and confidentiality of information related to participants, families, staff, and general housing operations.
Communicates a positive image about Downstreet to the community.
Adheres to all safety practices, rules, and standards throughout the workday.
Demonstrates a commitment to quality and proactively seeks to make improvements to systems and processes.
Maintains a professional appearance that is appropriate for the position.
Reports to work on time, provides advance notice for time off, completes timesheets accurately, and appropriately manages time.
Takes initiative and acts proactively to solve problems; maintains an optimistic and positive attitude.
Demonstrates a commitment to integrity in work habits and employing agency resources.
Supports a workplace culture that values diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Demonstrates empathy towards customers, including compassion for those with a range of health conditions and behaviors.
Working Conditions and Physical Demands
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working at a computer.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds at a time.
Employer Rights and Disclaimers
- The Housing Advisor is a temporary, grant-funded position, with anticipated funding for 12-18 months.
This job description is not a contract for employment. It is a list of duties and expectations. However, it should not be considered a complete list of expected duties. Duties may be added, dropped, or changed at any time.
The job qualifications may change at any time. Downstreet may add, drop, or change any qualifications for the position in order to fit changes in the organization. This job description should not be interpreted as a complete list of job qualifications.
This document does not extend an offer for permanent or continuous employment. Downstreet is an at-will employer.
To apply online, please complete the form below. Please include a resume and a cover letter explaining why you would like to be a part of the Downstreet team. Applications submitted without a cover letter will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Downstreet is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.