Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
We currently have the following positions to fill:
- Director of Real Estate Development
Please scroll down for complete job description and directions for how to apply.
Director of Real Estate Development
Downstreet Housing & Community Development (“Downstreet”) takes a collaborative approach to real estate development. We work with strong development partners such as Housing Vermont, as well as a team of experienced professionals including the northeast’s premier tax credit accounting firm; a seasoned tax credit, real estate and corporate attorney and a skilled financial consultant.
The Director of Real Estate Development (RED) is responsible for Downstreet’s affordable housing projects from conception to development completion. Projects include new development and rehab of single, multi-family and commercial development properties. Job responsibilities include hiring, oversight and supervision of Development staff and contractors, as well as coordinating with project funders, and internal and external partners.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Work with Executive Director (ED) and COO to select potential development projects (rental and homeownership) based on Downstreet’s mission, location, affordability, community support and project feasibility, maintain a robust and realistic development pipeline and maintain an up-to-date development fee schedule.
Analyze feasibility of projects and develop funding alternatives.
Secure funding through applications to appropriate grant sources and financing entities and represent Downstreet at funding presentations as requested.
Supervise and implement all activities necessary to project development including controlling costs, meeting grant conditions, attending to environmental testing, overseeing construction, etc.
Prepare and maintain development budgets and schedules.
Comply with applicable procurement requirements, hire and supervise contractors, including without limitation engineers, architects, project consultants and general contractors.
Coordinate other Downstreet staff regarding project progress and ensure that co-workers have adequate notice to meet their respective responsibilities related to the project in a timely manner.
Effectively manage all development risks and communicate with Executive Director and COO about relevant risk assessments as needed.
Coordinate activities with Housing Vermont and other development partners.
Maintain records and reports during project development phase.
Represent Downstreet as appropriate to local and state government officials, planning commissions and other relevant groups.
Ensure project completion in a timely and financially responsible manner.
Understand legal documentation and requirements related to affordable housing development and prepare for project closings.
Secure Board approvals for projects as needed.
Provide Redevelopment Services to Downstreet’s Existing Portfolio
- Conduct development responsibilities and activities outlined above for redevelopment of properties in Downstreet’s existing portfolio in consultation with the Director of Property & Asset Management (PAM).
- Track restrictions and opportunities for redevelopment in the existing development portfolio.
- Analyze re-development opportunities and pitfalls for ED, COO and Dir. of PAM.
- Develop pro forma and rehabilitation budgets for projects.
Technical Assistance & Outreach
- Maintain visibility, excellent relationships and good communications with funding sources, other non-profit organizations and the public.
- Provide development consultation services to partner organizations as requested, define scope of work for development services contracts and complete contracted activities.
- Determine fee for services.
- Represent Downstreet in policy making and advocacy arenas in consultation with ED and COO.
- Participate in community meetings as needed.
- Hire, supervise, train, evaluate, coach and mentor the development staff.
- Oversee the activities of the development staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Downstreet Standards of Conduct
- Demonstrates a commitment to the mission and values of Downstreet.
- Demonstrates respectful and effective communication with others.
- Has excellent interpersonal skills and be able to relate to internal and external parties professionally, representing Downstreet in a positive manner.
- Must be able to handle and protect the privacy of highly sensitive, confidential information.
- Possess ability to self-direct, strong attention to detail and commitment to excellence in work product while handling multiple projects at one time.
- Adheres to all safety practices, rules and standards throughout the work day.
- Demonstrates a commitment to quality and proactively seeks to make improvements in systems and processes.
- Contributes positively to a professional and respectful office environment.
Desired Job Qualfications
- A bachelor’s degree with emphasis in public or business administration, economics, planning or similar course work and/or equivalent experience.
- Experience with affordable housing development.
- A comprehensive understanding of federal and state housing programs including the Low Income Housing Tax Credit program and HUD affordable housing programs.
- Experience in real estate negotiations and purchase.
- Experience with grant writing and management, and project coordination.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and initiative in solving problems.
- Must possess working knowledge of Word and Excel spreadsheets.
- Must have a valid driver’s license.
- Commitment to social and economic justice.
- Excellent ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with residents, employees, Board members, government officials and the public.
Physical and Mental Abilities
The Director of RED must have the physical and mental abilities to perform the essential job duties listed above. However, reasonable accommodation may be extended to help perform those duties. The job entails evening and weekend work, significant travel and long periods of sitting at a desk. There may be prolonged periods of computer work. While performing the essential duties of this job the Director of RED may have to use hands and fingers, walk, stand, reach, or lift up to 25 pounds. Travel to meetings and presentations, walking prospective sites and being on-site regularly during construction. Wears safety gear, specifically work shoes/boots and hard hat as needed.
Employer Rights and Disclaimers
This job description is not a contract for employment. It is a list of duties and expectations. However, it should not be considered a complete list of expected duties. Duties may be added, dropped, or changed at any time.
The job qualifications may change at any time. Downstreet may add, drop, or change any qualifications for the position in order to fit changes in the organization. This job description should not be interpreted as a complete list of job qualifications.
This document does not extend an offer for permanent or continuous employment. Downstreet is an at-will employer.