Thank you for your interest in joining our team!
We are currently looking for a Director of Property Management to join our team!
We are seeking a seasoned and solutions-oriented manager to lead the Property Management team. The Director will ensure high quality property management services across the portfolio, including leading a staff of 17, overseeing property leasing and maintenance, working to ensure financial strength of properties, and seeking to strengthen community collaboration and programs in support of our residents.The Director of Property Management will be a part of Downstreet’s Leadership Team, working to develop strategic focus and strength for the organization. The successful candidate will have proven supervisory experience, be a great communicator, highly organized, with a strong ability to manage priorities and deadlines. Senior-level experience in nonprofits, community development, or property management preferred.
The Director provides leadership and overall day to day management of all rental properties operated by Downstreet. The Director is responsible for overseeing all aspects of property operations, including leasing and compliance, maintenance and capital needs, and monitoring financial performance. The Director ensures that properties provide the highest quality of property management and resident services to the residents. She/he is accountable for the performance of properties against approved property operating and capital budgets, and is responsible for the development and implementation of property management, maintenance and resident services policies and procedures that are in compliance with all regulatory agency requirements and in accordance with stewardship policies established by Downstreet’s Board of Directors. The Director is a key member of the Leadership Team, and collaborates with that team in furthering Downstreet’s mission and meeting organizational strategic objectives.
Manage Occupancy and Compliance Function
- Ensures that Downstreet properties are well maintained and managed at all times
- Supervises administration, maintenance, compliance, marketing, tenant relations, and resident services to ensure standardization and consistency in the property management department.
- Develops and ensures effective implementation of property management policies and procedures according to industry standards and best practices for affordable housing portfolios, including but not limited to the areas of resident selection, reasonable accommodation, lease enforcement, housing retention, landlord tenant low, and performance indicators.
- Oversees the implementation of systems and procedures for long term compliance with regulatory requirements, including compliance with LIHTC, HOME, HUD, Section 8, USDA Rural Development, and all housing programs.
- Provides oversight of the maintenance operation, ensuring that emergency, day to day, and preventative maintenance is performed in a timely and quality fashion, and within budget constraints.
- Performs random audits of move-in, move-out and recertification files to ensure accuracy and completeness.
- Ensures compliance with tenant income and rent restrictions imposed by regulatory agreements and partnership agreements, and meets all occupancy goals, including with regards to placed-in-service deadlines.
- With Property Managers, pursues all efforts to maintain resident housing stability; when lease compliance is unresolvable, pursues eviction.
- Prepares for and attends LIHTC and other regulatory audits performed by state and other agencies.
- Acts as the 504 Coordinator for the department.
- Works to ensure smooth transitions between new project development/rehabilitations and project management with all staff and agencies, understanding and achieving owner occupancy goals.
Monitor/Ensure Financial Health and Sustainability of Properties
- Ensures that an annual budget is developed for each property complying with all regulatory requirements and ensuring that the property managers are trained on and understand the budgets and regulatory requirements.
- Collaborates with the Asset Manager and Facilities Manger in the development of one-year and five-year capital plans.
- Reviews monthly and year-to-date property operating performance comparing actual to budget variances; recommends methods to reduce variances and improve performance.
- Collaborates with the Asset Manager to develop and maintains property management performance indicators to identify areas (i.e. vacancy rate, rent collection %, turnover time, etc.) that need improvement and to implement plans to improve those areas.
- Monitors rent receivables/collections and vacancy rate, and takes action to improve as needed.
- Recommends rent changes and increases in accordance with regulatory agencies
- Collaborates with the Asset Manager on refinancing and property work-outs
- Collaborates with the Asset Manager to ensure that all regulatory, lender, investor or funder reporting is compiled and submitted within specified timelines for the portfolio, and that requests for information are responded to in a timely and accurate fashion.
Support Resident Success and Strengthen Community Collaboration
- Develops a keen understanding of housing need in the region, and cultivate community partnerships to meet that need.
- Evaluates/recommends and implements strategies to achieve owner established social support goals for residents in apartments and mobile home parks are being met (e.g. increased household financial stability, successful aging in place, ability to attract working families, etc.).
- Works to strengthen Downstreet relationships with community agencies and partners; develops Memorandums of Understanding in support of collaborations; work with staff to successfully implement collaborations.
- Ensures effective interface between property management and resident services, such as SASH and community partners delivering services.
- Evaluates community building and engagement impact of properties on neighborhood (e.g. reduced crime, increased public transit services, etc.).
- Represents Downstreet in local and statewide meetings.
- Evaluates/recommends and implements strategies to enhance healthy living environments for residents (e.g. integrated pest management, smoke-free housing, etc.).
- Attends regular interdepartmental director and manager meetings.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Plan, Supervise and Lead
- As a member of the Leadership Team, develops vision for organization and a strategic focus, and work to ensure organizational sustainability.
- Participates in a team that reviews all new housing projects, weighing in on need, staff capacity, design issues, target population, service plan, and budgets; team meets multiple times in the development of a new project.
- Supervises the SASH program, including contract negotiations, program strategy and implementation, reporting and compliance.
- In cooperation with CEO, develops an annual departmental work plan towards achieving Downstreet’s strategic objectives for property operations and customer satisfaction.
- Provides leadership, oversight, coaching, training and supervision to property management staff, building a positive, collaborative and highly efficient team.
- Ensures the development of individual work plans for each property management staff member that assures attainment of departmental objectives.
- Conducts performance evaluations that are timely and constructive.
- Handles discipline and termination of employees as needed and in accordance with company policy.
- Stays current on all statutory, regulatory and contractual considerations that affect the properties.
- Identifies and educates the staff on issues, trends, and developments, and recommends policy and direction to the Leadership Team, CEO, and Board of Directors.
- Collaborates with housing development partners/internal staff on the planning of new housing projects, including the review of budgets, design, relocation plans, and property management plans.
- Oversees the third-party management of any Downstreet property; review contracts and pricing; annually evaluates manager’s services; meets at least quarterly with third-party manager; ensures compliance of third-party manager of all regulatory requirements.
- Proven successful management skills/experience required.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, residential property management, maintenance, human services.
- Nonprofit experience preferred.
- Knowledge of Tax Credit, Rural Development, HOME, Section 8 and Fair Housing.
- High level of organizational skills; ability to work in a multi-taking environment of significant responsibility; ability to manage priorities, interests, and deadlines; strong ability to problem-solve and resolve conflicts; strong communications skills; strong teamwork skills.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Minimum five years’ of experience in the field of affordable housing and/or property management.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk and working at a computer.
- Must be able to lift 25 pounds at a time.
- Some evening and weekend hours required.
The annual salary range for this position is $72,000 - $79,000.
Downstreet also provides a comprehensive benefits package, which includes:
- 403 (b) with company match up to 4.5%
- Healthcare insurance
- Dental insurance benefits
- Life insurance and long-term disability benefits
- Generous paid leave allowances (vacation, sick, and personal time)
- 9 paid holidays and 2 “floating” holidays
- Professional development opportunities
- Coworkers who have each other’s backs and have created a friendly and professional work culture
Downstreet Standards of Conduct
Demonstrates a commitment to the mission and values of Downstreet.
Demonstrates respectful and effective communication with others.
Protects the privacy and confidentiality of all private information related to participants, families, staff and general housing operations following privacy practices and HIPAA requirements.
Has excellent interpersonal skills and be able to relate to internal and external parties professionally, representing Downstreet in a positive manner.
Must be able to handle and protect the privacy of highly sensitive, confidential information.
Possess the ability to self-direct, strong attention to detail, and commitment to excellence in work product while handling multiple projects at one time.
Adheres to all safety practices, rules and standards throughout the workday.
Demonstrates a commitment to high quality customer service, quality and proactively seeks to make improvements in systems and processes.
Proactively anticipates, manages and constructively resolves conflicts and disagreements; identifies ways conflict can lead to positive change.
Demonstrates a high level of emotional intelligence, treats others ethically and fairly, and displays integrity and honesty.
Adapts and is flexible in response to constraints, failures and adversity.
Builds and maintains effective relationships.
Employer Rights and Disclaimers
This job description is not a contract for employment. It is a list of activities, duties, responsibilities and expectations. However, it should not be considered a complete list of expected activities, duties, responsibilities or expectations. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
This document does not extend an offer for permanent or continuous employment. Downstreet is an at-will employer.
Downstreet is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply online, please complete the form below. Please include a resume and a cover letter explaining why you would like to be a part of the Downstreet team. Applications submitted without a cover letter will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
Downstreet is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.